View: 2579|Reply: 4

Sony D-515 very dim display segments

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-11-19 04:38:05 From the mobile phone | Show all posts |Read mode
Hello Mr Kaosun and everyone else here,
This is a very common problem with many d-515 units. Some of the display segments are dim and can be seen only when looking at the display at specific angles. The issue appears randomly in all units I have tested, and it may go away with some use. I have confirmed from a fully working unit that the problem remains with the board, and the screen assembly is always OK. CPU main voltage is ok all the time and the players do not have any other issues. Happens with both old original capacitors as well as to fully recapped units.
Do you have any idea what is may cause this issue?
Thanks a lot for any help,
Kostgeor

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrator

Credits
Post time 2023-11-26 17:39:27 | Show all posts
Dim LCD is usually caused by low CPU power supply voltage. All SMT caps (probably 3-4 caps) should be replaced and PCB cleaning is necessary.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2023-11-27 16:35:21 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Edited by Kostgeor at 2023-11-27 16:55

Hello, and thanks for the reply.
The unit is fully recaped, and it is in perfect condition inside,(no corrosions etc). The problem is that only a FEW segments are dim whereas all others appear fine. In order for all segments to be visible the unit must be held at an angle (Picture 2). The issue appears and dissalears at totally random times. Confirmed the problem remains with the board, and Lcd assembly is fine. Here are some pictures to help understand my issue.
Thanks again for your time!
kostgeor

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrator

Credits
Post time 2023-11-28 10:34:01 | Show all posts
If all segments are dim, you'll check CPU power supply voltage. If several segments are dim, check corresponding soldering of the CPU pins, as well as the flexible cable attached to the LCD. D88 has lots of LCD connection failures cause segments missing.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2023-12-14 13:25:30 | Show all posts
Hello and thanks for the reply.
I have confirmed that the problem is not on the CPU pins or flexible coble. the CPU power supply is also OK, as all the pins regarding LCD power. The problem is getting worse now, almost the entire screen is invisible. Also, the problem is random, for example if I let the unit for a couple of months could fix the issue temporarely. I have this or similar LCD problems with most of my D-515 units! Do you have any other suggestion/idea?
Thanks,
Kostgeor

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Repair!

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile|Dark room|Kaosun's CD players

2024-04-28 16:33 GMT-6 , Processed in 0.046078 second(s), 21 queries .